It's been a while since I've posted so I just wanted to drop a line to say HOWDY! I'm still here, just busy.
We started back with lessons on Dec. 26th and then we've been dealing with sick kids here (just like everyone else it seems). Coughing, fever, snotty noses, chest congestion... But I think we're getting better so that is a blessing!
As far as what's going on with our HOMESCHOOL (which I never seem to post about!), here are a few notes:
* Dash is doing great with Math-U-See Beta. Tank finished the Primer this past fall and is zipping through Alpha (a lot of repeat from the Primer).
* We are still struggling with handwriting with Dash. It IS legible but not as nice as I would like. Maybe my standards are too high for a 7yo boy? Plus, he absolutely despises the physical task of writing. Up until now, I've taken the approach of minimal writing on paper, using whiteboard when we can, narration, etc. But it's time to switch gears! I ordered a book of copywork for boys from Queens Homeschool Suppies (www.queenhomeschool.com) and we really like it so far. Once he gets used to writing the way you are supposed to write as opposed to the way he wants to write, we can move on to actual cursive writing (Getty/Dubay Italic).
* We use Sonlight as our main curriculum and just love all of the great literature that goes with it. We just finished reading Mr. Popper's Penguins as a read-aloud-- my boys really enjoyed it! I hate to think of missing out on all of the fun and interesting books we've read in the last couple of years with Sonlight. Some favorites from the past have been: Boxcar Children, My Father's Dragon, Dr. Doolittle and Missionary Stories with the Millers (which still makes me cry!).
* We are learning about waterways through plants right now. We have in the kitchen three sets of white carnations that we've placed in jars of water. To the water, each child added their choice of food coloring. It has been neat to track the progress of the dye manifesting itself in the petals of the flowers. I took a few pics and hope to post them later (don't I always say that?).
* David has the week off so the boys have been outside quite a bit. Dash (7yo) actually got in trouble yesterday for chopping down an oak tree with a SHOVEL. Oh, and Dozer (2yo) burned a giant hole in the seat of one of our best patio chairs. The most comfortable things ever, even without the cushion! He scooped up a bunch of ashes with a shovel and dumped them on the chair. Oh well...better a chair than a brother! Tank (5yo) is a pleaser and rarely gets in trouble. :-) It's a nice break from the usually craziness! hehehee...
Okay, it is waaay past time to start lessons so I gotta go. Man, you know it's bad when the teacher is tardy!