I've been meaning to post this for some time. It is THE best chicken recipe ever-- and don't be intimidated by the fact that it is a roast chicken...and a non-crockpot roasted chicken at that! The seasonings sound weird, but I promise you that it is deeeeelicious! Even my very picky dh and kiddos like it. So here's one more thing you can do with a whole chicken when it goes on sale for .19 cents a pound!
2 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (4#) whole chicken
- Mix all dry seasonings together. Rub on chicken and sprinkle some in the cavity. Stuff with garlic. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Place breast side down in a roasting pan. (I just place it in a 9x13 corning dish)
- Roast for 15 minutes at 500.
- Roast for 15 minutes at 450.
- Baste if ya need to, although I never do.
- Roast for 45 minutes at 425.
- Remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes.
I usually serve this with rolls, mashed potatoes, peas and corn. Any leftovers (which are nonexistent at my house) are great chopped up and mixed with mayo and pepper for chicken salad sandwiches. Every bite is full of flavor...not just the skin but the meat itself...and it has never ever come out dry for me.