Hip-hip-hooray! We finally got around to putting the CHRISTmas tree up the other night. It was a close call because the closer to CHRISTmas it gets, the LESS likely I'll want to go through the trouble of pulling all this stuff down from the attic. Okay, okay...I can't believe I lied in a CHRISTmas post! The truth is that it's less likely I'll want to bug dh about getting the stuff down from the attic! (Whew! My conscience feels much better now!)
I've bought a few presents already but haven't gotten around to wrapping them and placing them under the tree. I am most excited about making a few presents-- but haven't quite had the time for that yet. I guess I better get a move on! (why does that sound normal when you say it, but looks very weird when you write it?)
Here's a few of my fav gift ideas this season:
- For my big boys, I bought some red satin fabric and am planning to make them superhero capes! They will be long, shiny, and velcro at the boys' necks. If I hurry up, I will have enough time to take them to a friend's house and embroider their names/initials on the back.
- The big boys will also be receiving some very nice wooden pop-guns that grandma and grandpa ordered from Vision Forum. I had to play with them quietly in the other room...you know, to make sure they weren't defective or dangerous...oh man, they are cool!!!
- Y'all may be unawares of a very talented jeweler among us. Our very own Susan has been kind enough to make a few pairs of earrings for me to give as gifts...the toughest part about having such beautiful wares to choose from is deciding which to keep for myself!
- My siblings will also be receiving Pecan Pie Muffin Mix and Chicken Enchilada Soup Mix a la Homemade Gourmet-- very quick, easy and delicious!
- And since I'm making a list of uber-cool things...have y'all noticed Tammy is incredibly talented?! You just HAVE to take a look at her flickr pics on the sidebar-- her artwork is AMAZING! I have no idea how people can do stuff like that...
- And finally, just wanted to share an ornament idea that we started last year. Normally, we would purchase a nice ornament for each child. Then when they grow up one day and have a family or house of their own, they would get their box of ornaments. As some of you may know, this can be ridiculously expensive-- I should not have to pay $10-15 for one ornament!!!
So last year I let each boy pick out one of their Hot Wheels cars that they would like to use for their ornament. Dash picked out a red car (b/c that's his fav color) and Tank picked out a white Fiero...
I wrote the year and their initials with a metallic Sharpie, hot glued a ribbon to hang with, and Voila! Special ornament on the cheap...and much more meaningful since it was something they actually played with!
This year they were quite excited to pick out a wooden train from their collection.
Fortunately, they are still young and have small toys that would work as CHRISTmas ornaments. I can only imagine the CHRISTmas tree carnage if they were into something very big or very alive...
I almost forgot about the goofiness mentioned in the title! I walk outside in the front yard this afternoon and what do I see but...
Notice the strange bicycle helmet and one sandal/one boot action going on. They could only be up to no good.
Me: Hi boys!
Them: Hi mommy.
Me: What are you doing?
Me: You've been out here a long time and I heard some banging...
Them: We don't want daddy to go to work. (very big grins and pointing) So we trapped him! Now he CAN'T go!!!
Me: Wow, y'all are so strong and smart. I don't know how daddy will ever be able to leave now...
In case the four gigantic logs weren't enough to keep him home, they wedged those two very strong pieces of lumber up against the tires...just to make sure...very thorough, aren't they???