While many of you are celebrating the festivities of this Independence Day, the Drews household is not. While we did talk about the what/why's of Independence Day, there was no picnic, barbecue, boating or shooting of fireworks for us. It's not because we're party-poopers though. Here is why we actually had our lessons (read: school!) today:
1. It's been raining for a couple of days now...and expected to continue throughout the night.
2. We didn't make any real plans for the day since we expected dh to be working (which he now is not). Plus, all the rain that was forecasted makes for swarms of swamp mosquitoes that attack you without mercy. So no lake or outside activities for us!
3. We school year-round but have taken the last two weeks off...not intentionally, mind you, but just because we've had invitations to the beach with friends, celebrated our 10 yr wedding anniversary and just had other things to do!
4. Dash reminded me the other day that it's only two more months until he's in second grade. Ummmm...we have WAY more than two weeks worth of work left-- so we better double up!
5. The boys do better with routine. Two weeks off in a row means for bored boys. Bored boys fight. Bored boys get in trouble. Bored boys irritate mommy and make me into a yelling, angry, frustrated lunatic that nobody wants to be around. By the way, I'm 200% better now! :-)
I am rather pleased with how our lessons went today. We covered a lot of material...not just because I wanted to, but it actually made sense to the boys and they were interested in continuing. You don't find that in public schools very often, do ya?! The only thing left to do is finish the last part of our current read-aloud The Light at Tern Rock. Oh, and I really want to do the glo-germ experiment that I ordered from Fizzbang Science (thanks, eyecorn!).
So what are you doing today? Am I the only one who was a mean mommy and had lessons today? (Although technically it's not mean when your children don't fuss about it...and they really don't know what "normal" is for other children anyway!)