Hi y'all! This is our third day here in Beijing. While our trip started out a little crazy with David's luggage getting lost, we have finally settled in here in Beijing. Our first night was spent desperately trying to find David some clothes and shoes...VERY difficult here in China! He is over 6'2" and wears size XL in the US...that translates to at least 3XL in pants and we could not find a single shirt. It took us a harrowing 20 min cab ride to find a mall of all places-- and after looking at every possible pair of shoes, we were able to find ONE (only one in the entire mall) that was a US size 11. Even *I* had a difficult time finding tennis shoes for my gigantic US 8 feet (gasp!). You'd think I was a freak of nature asking for such impossibly large shoes!
God answered prayers (especially David's!) when his bag was delivered last night to our hotel. :-) A day too late to keep him from freezing during our visit to the beautiful Forbidden City yesterday...but just in time for our visit today to the Great Wall!
Impressions of China so far:
2. Our room is very hot and it is very cold outside.
3. The people are so patient to put up with our lack of Chinese!
4. There are A LOT of people here!
5. Silk worms are cool and it takes a lot of work to make silk.
6. We saw someone open a freshwater oyster (a young one) and there were 35 pearls inside a single one!
7. Dh did not starve-- we've hit KFC, Pizza Hut AND McDonald's so far! But I am proud of him for trying dim sum and a few other Chinese dishes yesterday.
Okay, gotta go now. I've only got a few minutes left on the old 'puter time. I will definitely post pics and write in more detail when I get back in the States.
Hehehe...I am SO excited that I get to go to the Great Wall today! It should be spectacular!
PS If my family is reading this, I'm having problems with Yahoo so couldn't send y'all an e-mail. Kiss the boys for us...we miss them! Tell them we love them lots too!!!